Friday, May 16, 2014

Thinking

My mind is like a tennis ball machine, serving thoughts up at me one after another. Engaging with those balls doesn't mean the machine is eventually going to run out or be satisfied. In fact, the more you whack at them, the more the machine will scoop the balls back up and serve them back to you in an endless feedback loop.



For years I've been trying to get my life into a state where there's one machine occasionally lobbing balls at me. Instead, there are machines on all sides, constantly hurtling balls my way. As soon as I manage to remove one of the machines from my life ("Ahhh..."), I immediately replace it with another.

The only thing to do is let the balls whack you, after which they will drop to the ground and either roll away or lie there on the ground near you, in case you want to pick them up later, when you're ready.


And just as when I decided to love my body and had to accept that I might even gain a bit of weight (horrors!) in the process of learning not to have a dieting/body image etc. problem, I have to be okay with some free time for my brain, even if I might be "losing" a little bit of the precious time I could be being "productive" or "constructive" (horrors!).

No comments:

Post a Comment